Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas 2009.

I had a wonderful Christmas. I am hoping you all did too.

I spent Christmas Eve with my husband, we had ham and sweet potatoes, asparagus and brussel sprouts, cornbread and a lovely Cabernet. We opened presents and the shirt I bought him fit! I love success!

Today, I cooked brunch for my larger family, eggs and sausages, blueberry bread and cranberry bread, fruit salad and Cool Whip. Perfect. We've done this every year since the nieces and nephews came along. It is part of my gift to them. We sit around after and open Christmas presents. This year was particularly special as my 3 sisters and I were able to get together to shop earlier in the week. We can't manage this but once every 5 years or so. Oh, two or three of us will find the time, but to have all 4 at once is such a treat. We fly and drive to meet somewhere in between all of us, greet each other briefly, all have to go pee, one has to have a smoke, and then... well, we need to get lunch. It takes us a good 90 minutes until we actually start shopping. We then divide and conquer! We review each others' lists and head off in different directions as the need strikes us. We used to spend a lot of time looking for each other and get very frustrated, but cell phones have changed all that. I would be standing in line and my sister would call, "Where are you?" "I am in the men's dept." "Well, the line in cosmetics is really small and they will ring you up here!" Off we go, taking some other friendly shoppers along with us. Efficient and fun. "Oh, I love this store, you'll find a present for you father-in-law here!" ("Look, will your son like that!?") "Wait, you love this store, tell me what you want, I haven't bought your present yet! Just point..." Too much fun!
So, Christmas day becomes... "Oh, look! What a surprise! Just what I needed!" Makes me smile even now. I love them. I just wish my brother could be part of this silliness and communion.

My Dad. 84 and still hosting holidays. Well, he has the biggest house. (And the biggest heart.) I bring everything from my house I need to cook. My sisters help set the table and finally the nieces are jumping in too. We'll get the boys next year. (My brother-in-law is a wondrous help.) We use the space to get together, but do all the work so Dad can just relax, and host (he loves that) so he can offer drinks or pour coffee. It is kinda perfect. Mom would have loved this and loved how he continues her traditions. (All three of my sisters told me how much they missed Mom this year. She has been dead 5 1/2 years. Seems like yesterday.)

I come home to my husband. The Lakers lost. Boston now has the best record. It doesn't matter, it is just a ping-pong match between them at this point. My husband was cheery and delighted to have left-overs. We watched a Christmas movie and then watched the new Star Trek movie. (A gift to each other.) This was heaven. A great two days.

I send you all great hope for our future. I send you all my best wishes. I send you love.

xoxo
mkk.

No comments:

Post a Comment