Saturday, April 27, 2019

Mary's Quesadillas! (Also Known as Mary's Leftovers)

Mary's Quesadillas!

Honestly, this is a "left-over" dish. I do this a lot! Whatever protein is left from the night before becomes the protein in the quesadilla. As a really good California girl there are things I always have in my fridge and pantry. (I was going to say larder, but I'm not really sure what a larder is! Uh.. Someplace where one keeps lard?)

Okay!
Ingredients:

1. Protein. Left-over ground beef. Left-over shredded chicken. Left-over steak. Left-over ground turkey or maybe just a goopy mushroom mixture!

 (Picture of my Quesadilla Prep...)

2. Shredded cheese. At least 8 ounces. Yes.. I know.. You can shred your own cheese! I would rather use pre-shredded. I have wine to drink.  (I almost ALWAYS have shredded cheddar or Mexican shredded cheese in my fridge.) 




3. Cilantro. Cilantro is not only a staple in my house.. I also keep dried cilantro. (I like it in salads.) Dork. I know. (If you HATE cilantro.. worry not.. Just don't use it!.)


4. Red onions. I like red onions. Guess you could use yellow or white onions.. Red is pretty though. Amount? Not a clue.. I use about 1/2 a good sized red onion for all the things in this dish. So.. Buy one onion.

5. Canned Ortega Whole Green Chilis. Get the larger size. Gives you more with which to play.



6.. Really really good tortillas. I buy them special from a little shop in the valley. The cost is about $1.35 for 10. Wow! They freeze really well. 


7. Pitted medium black olives. Acts as garnish and adds a bit of salt!

8. Cherry Tomatoes. More garnish.. pretty.

9. Random Lettuce. It is all about the garnish. 


10. Sour Cream. 

11. One ripe Avocado. (Yes! Again with the Avocado!)


12. Salsa, red and green (recipe later...)

SIDE DISH
1. Pinquito Beans - recipe later. (ha ha.)


OKAY, MARE.. HOW DO I MAKE THIS FASCINATING DISH?

Here we go...
1. Cut up your protein..  Use smaller pieces.. You will have a lot going into this quesadilla and left-overs from two people should make 3 quesadillas.. K.. This isn't rocket science. It will make how ever many you make depending on how hungry your family was last night.. La La.
Put the protein aside. (Since I used steak the other night, let's just call it steak.) 

2. Use a really good cookie pan or cover your crummy one with Reynold's Non-Stick Foil. Works great.!

3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

4. Spread out the tortillas on the baking sheet as shown below.


5. Start Building!! Cheese first. Cover 1/2 of the tortillas with shredded cheese.


6. Add Steak.. (or whatever!)

7. Slice the green chilis into long pieces and add them to the steak and cheese. Reserve a few for later.


8. Add chopped red onion.


9. Continue building, adding the cilantro. Cilantro makes me happy.



10. Now it is time to add the final layer of cheese. Hooray! (So pretty!!)



11.  Fold the tortillas over your magnificent creation and arrange on the cooking sheet.


12. Time to make them beautiful!! Did I tell you to reserve some ingredients from the building? Oh.. Uh.. Look over at the sink. What is left on the cutting board or in the colander? Use that.



(12.5.. I bought a Serrano pepper for this dish the other night. Just wanted to add a bit of different flavor.. I sliced some and added it to the build. Your choice.. but be careful.. These lovely peppers can add A LOT of heat.)

13. Let's make these treats look appetizing...

Cut some of the cherry tomatoes in half and arrange on top of the quesadillas.
Add some of the left-over green chilis.
Toss some of the red onion over the top.
Easy Peasy.


14. Add some cilantro and whatever left-over cheese you have.. 


15.  Put the dish in the oven.. (pre-heated to 350.)


16. Okie Dokie.. It will cook for about 10-12 minutes... (I use a pizza cutter to slice it all up.)



17. Meanwhile.. On Alderaan...

THE BEANS!!!
a. Open a can of:
 

b.  Oh. yeah.. That other stuff you were supposed to put aside.. Add it to the beans now.. 


c. Cut some more of the cherry tomatoes in 1/2.. Maybe 6?
Add to the beans. Heat! It will look like this and is so good!
Serve with the Quesadillas!



18.
ONE MORE THING! 
BUY SOME RED SALSA.. (I will give you a recipe another time, but a lot of the store bought salsa is really good.)

19. This is the recipe for my green salsa: 
 ha ha ha...

20.. PRESENTATION!!
(Remember the random lettuce, the sour cream, the olives, the rest of the tomatoes and the ever present avocado? Check it out.)

 

Ta Da!

No comments:

Post a Comment