Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Mary's Fettuccine

Fettuccine a la Mary!

Feeds 6 adults. 

Ingredients: 

2 lbs of skinless chicken breast. I tend to use Trader Joe's because it honestly has less fat around it. (Although.. I found some good breasts at Vons today.. ) HINT: This recipe works equally well with asparagus or green squash instead of chicken. Just add it much later.. uncooked with the cooking mushrooms.. see below.)

15 medium sized fresh mushrooms. (yes.. I am mad for mushrooms.) 


1 1/2 sticks of actual butter! Really.. it is all about the taste.


2 teaspoons (or more) of "Organic Better Than Bouillon" "Roasted Chicken Base." Use this.. They also make a vegetarian mixture and it is equally good. I have tried many other bases and this is the best!! In the soup aisle. 

1 large bunch of Parsley.


1 lb of Fettuccine (I have also used spinach fettuccine from Trader Joe's - lighter but a little mushy. We actually like it a lot. I haven't tried zucchini fettuccine but I think it would be good. I have been meaning to try it.)


White Pepper. Important. It has a very different flavor from black or red pepper. I put in about a teaspoon.. about 4 times more than the original recipe I stole from the LA Times. (But mine is much better!!)


1 tablespoon of pre-sifted white flour. (Used as a thickener.. so.. if you need to use a gluten free thickener I am sure that would be fine.)

Milk or Half and Half. I actually use 2 percent lactose free milk. Works out well. I have not tried this recipe with Almond Milk or Coconut Milk.. Should be fine! Has been in other recipes.. so...! (The half and half tastes great but makes the food very sweet and heavy and wonderful and for the 20-30 year olds because I can't digest this anymore!!)


6 ounces shredded Parmesan Cheese. Don't know a replacement for this.. Sorry.



Prep:

Put chicken in pan add a pinch of salt.. really.. and maybe some garlic powder if you have it around. Poach the chicken breast to 160 degrees. Drain. Let cool. Cut into small pieces or shred. It takes so long to shred I have gone to cutting 1/2 inch pieces. Your choice. 

Remove the stems from the mushrooms. Slice thick. Put aside. 

Wash the parsley. Chop finely. You don't have to use it all. You can use according to taste. We are Arabs in this house and find the parsley very cooling and so add a lot .. later.


Cook:

Heat water to boiling for the pasta.

In a small sauce pan put in 1/4 cup milk product. (lol) 

-add 1 tablespoon flour
-add 2 teaspoons "Better Than Boullion"
-add white pepper.
Stir it until smooth.
KEEP A VERY CLOSE EYE ON THIS... YOU NEED TO STIR IT CONSTANTLY. YOU ARE MAKING A ROUE. It will thicken obviously and FAST. The second! it does pour in 2 more cups of milk product. Stir. Blend. Turn the temp down and let it come to a boil. KEEP AN EYE ON IT!! REALLY!! Dun dun DAAAA! (This is the hardest part of this recipe.. mostly because most of us haven't yet made a roue. But it really helps the ultimate texture, so don't be afraid!!)

In a larger wok size pan melt 1/2 stick of butter...add mushrooms. Occasionally stir until mushrooms start to turn a little bit brown or softer. Add Chicken. Or whatever vegetable you prefer. I suggest fresh asparagus. It just works with the other flavors.  Add another 1/4 stick of butter. Turn the temp down and let it simmer. You can leave this alone for a bit.


Put your pasta into the now boiling water. TIP: Cook pasta at a constant temperature. It will be better. Also.. turn it with the pasta fork every couple, four minutes. It will keep it from sticking to itself.


Once the milk/bullion/flour/ spice mixture starts to boil.. like THE SECOND it start to boil add it to the mushroom/chicken mixture. Stir. Cover. Keep the temp to simmer or low. 


Okay.. The Pasta is cooked to your liking.. I like it fairly well cooked, but I'm hoping you know how to cook pasta.. If not.. uh.. I take a piece out of the boiling water and break it in half. If I can still see uncooked pasta in the middle I cook it a little longer. BUT I don't like al dente for this dish.. So my pasta may be more done than yours. 


Drain the Pasta. YES! Rinse it. Put it back in the pot. Add last of the butter. 

Stir until blended.
Add the mushroom chicken sauce mixture.                          Stir until blended. 
Add the parmesan cheese. 
Stir until melted. Fooled ya! Ha!
Add the parsley.. Again.. WE like a LOT of parsley. You may just want to add a bit and save some for garnish. Your taste.

Get some help. The mixture is now VERY HEAVY!!


Pour into a large Pasta Dish.


Serve. (We like it with Pita Bread.. of course.)


Okay. I just cooked this tonight so I'm hoping I remembered all the steps!! Email me with questions.. 





















No comments:

Post a Comment