Monday, August 27, 2018

ARS GRATIA ARTIS

Small Part of a Longer Discussion:
Me: Honestly, y'all live in a different theatrical world than I do. I grew up in a different time and we (my colleagues and I) made ourselves important to the process of the art through the work we did. I got a lot of respect for that work and still do. I worked hard! I was thanked generously and often publicly. On Broadway, on opening nights, the producers (I worked with Jujamcyn) gave the stage managers their own table. The Mark Taper Forum (regional, Los Angeles) did this as well. In those days, the LA Times listed our names in the review. (Sylvie Drake, critic, was instrumental in that.) I was always happy to jump when I could solve a problem in the moment. I would also discuss solutions if my participation was not feasible or was inappropriate. I am and have always been about the good of the show. I am an artist, first. I am protected by the union and am active in it and grateful for its existence. AEA helps me stand my ground and helps me help the actors. The union is one tool I use to better help the health and viability of the art. I love knowing how to use Q-Lab in rehearsal. It helps SO much! (I've always run some kind of sound - back in 1984 it was a reel to reel. Later.. cassette tapes... later, CDs.... ) All this to say, I do not want my duties categorized or written down. I have the freedom to decide in complicated rehearsal situations. I may ask the assistant director to be on book, for example. I may need the ASM to actually call cues he/she/they can see better from backstage. I may get clears from my carpenters and prop people. My automation person has my permission to call "All Stop!" (All of which I've asked for or had done.) My friends. Please. I know you face challenges I did not face or faced only after I'd had a lot of experience. I know life in some of the regional theatres and on SPT contracts can be difficult. I know why so many rules exist in the contracts. I get it. (You should know that before the "tech bump" some of us were getting far more overtime than any tech bump could cover. WE knowingly gave up that overtime so the rest of you could get "something." We knew you were getting nothing for the extra time.) This is our history. We have evolved a lot. Stage Managers from the last generation worked hard to give you what you have now. Please don't try to "define" the sm's job. I think it will just make our lives more difficult. From the soon to be retired.. (though they keep calling me back... )
Reply17hEdited

No comments:

Post a Comment