Friday, December 7, 2012

The Luxury Of Art.

We have been inundated lately with the "loop holes" congress is considering to balance the budget. Gosh, I hope one of them is not my mortgage interest. Then I think... well, maybe they will eliminate the deduction on healthcare. Geeze... that is a large part of our income... hmmm, charitable deductions? Employee business expense? No one is offering any specifics except when it comes to the Arts.

Yes! Let's get rid of the pittance we give to theatre and independent film and dance and music. Let us abolish that! Those (very few) dollars will make up the deficit. Assholes.

Every major country supports the arts. Except this one. Why? Well, most people (except in this country) understand that The Arts is who we are. Not us. No, no no. Not us. We seem to honestly think that if people can have a roof.. and I mean a simple tarp... some food.. and I mean what you can buy with food stamps.. we'll be okay. Some Republicans think supplying that is too much. How then are we to make a case for ART?

Well. I don't think we should offer a piece of theatre when a population is literally starving. I think we need to find a way to feed them first. I think we need to offer more than a tarp as a home. Yes! I get that. But after that then, what?

Why do we live? It is the greater question. One could offer religion though I find that argument specious at best. Art does something else nothing else does. It offers a reason for this existence.

I am a theatre artist. I am proud of it. I teach art. I practice art. I help create art.

I can't imagine living such a mean life without a song or a painting or a poem or a play. Art gives meaning to our existence and more than that exemplifies our hopes and dreams.

Without art we are nothing but apes living in cities instead of trees.

Art mirrors us, teaches us, restores us, entertains us, reflects us and ultimately defines who we are.

K. Have to move on to the monetary issue. The small amount of money we get from the government allows us to reach and teach students of all ages. That small bit of money from the NEA allows us to develop new work that can change someone's mind. That bit of money enables theatre companies all over the country to employ hundreds of workers and artists and stagehands and publicists and stage managers and actors and ... All who will pay taxes on this income.

It is just the that very tiny push of Federal Money that makes the difference.

We need this. Art defines us. Art describes us. Art informs us. Art changes the way we look at the world. Art brings us joy and sorrow.  Art is who we are. Without Art we might as well be apes looking out for the next fruit filled tree.

And... We are better than that.
xo

1 comment: