Monday, July 11, 2011

Leaving. I Am A Gypsy.

On my way to D.C. this week. I've packed two boxes, clothes and stage manger stuff. Off they go tomorrow.

I don't want to leave. I want the work but I don't want to leave my home. I don't understand why I can get really good paying work on the other coast but can't get work here. It makes no sense. There are a gazillion stage managers on the East Coast. (And yet they hire me.) There are a million out here on the West Coast. The local theatres bring in East Coast stage managers. We keep trading places. How is that efficient or cost-effective?

Theatre has become too weird. I've finally started hearing from colleagues something I've witnessed for a long time. We are losing work due to age discrimination.

Accept it! It is true. I can get my students jobs nearly everywhere. The theatres want applicants trained by me, but they won't hire me.

I'm doing JULIUS CAESAR. I love this! Can't wait. But, I have to travel across the country! Why can't I do this here?  Do you see what I am saying?

The Dead and The Living.

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely see what you're saying. I want the work, but I want to be home and work.

    Pack lots of summery clothes. I've worked in DC in July and August and it is unbelievably humid. I know you'll have a great time!

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary - you are a gypsy at heart...just put on all your flowing skirts, beat your tambourine and love your job. And remember...somebody with incredible insight just hired themselves a great stage managing gypsy! So, put age discrimination aside until the job ends!

    ReplyDelete