Monday, July 18, 2011

Hot, Humid But Smiling In D.C.

Smoke or be cool. I mean, not hot. Yeah. I'm in D.C. Cool is better. (One can smoke outside restaurants  here.) My gosh! It is so hot here!  I am not used to the humidity and my hair is so curly!

I got in to D.C. very late Sunday night. I'm a stage manager, so I had to then unpack and set up my household. I was sitting outside at 5am and saw a bird panting, with a worm in its beak. I thought...what are you doing? It is so early! And then, for the first time realized I was watching the "early bird catching the worm."

D.C. is a wondrous place so far. Walking distance to the offices is a street of old world charm. Walking a very short distance takes me to my rehearsal room. (One melts if one tries to walk much further..)

My apartment is charming. I have a washer and dryer in the unit! Yay!

I started work in earnest today. Still moving a little slowly. I've clearly forgotten what jet lag and humidity can do to one. Tomorrow the weather is supposed to turn dangerously hot. Great!

But oh, I love Shakespeare. And he's dead so he won't be offering any contrary notes to the director!

Yay for new things.

How cool to be in the Capitol when all the world is looking.

I'm gonna try to see my congressman while I'm here.  What the heck! He is Republican but he is still entrusted to represent me. I want to talk to him! (I write him all the time. His name is Buck McKeon.)

Maybe I'm just enchanted to be in charge of a company again. I love actors.

One (actor) just walked my way. He is walking his little fluffy dog named Fang. We chatted for a few. He leaves on Monday. His show closes Sunday. Ah, well... perhaps we'll work together one day.

I found out today my cast is 40! Yikes! They told me 34, forgetting to count the extras. Should be quite interesting and exciting.

More soon... with pictures!

2 comments:

  1. What fun! How long will you be gone? Hugs honey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun! Years ago I acted in a production of 1984 that was brought to the Kennedy Center. It was late July - August and boy was the humidity unbelievable. Once the show was open, I wanted to see everything. I'd leave early in the morning, trying to beat the humid air. Once I walked all the way to the Smithsonian and turned right around and went back to my apt. I couldn't take it. But I really loved DC. There are so many great neighborhoods around there and great mass transit.

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete