Friday, December 10, 2010

Hope Is Like Aspirin.

I can't stop sneezing. Call me Sneezy. I walk into my own house and sneeze. It is just the time of year. My doctor asks me every time, "Have you taken up your carpets?" YES, years ago. I think it is the heater, but right now the heater is off.  Sometimes my doctor says, "What is wrong with your face?" Uh, duh! I'm allergic!  He gives me steroids. It helps.
  
Not what I wanted to talk about. I just started sneezing as I opened this post. Hate that! (Worry not about me, I've lived with this as long as I can remember.)

As I've said so many times, we have to live in hope. But now I think hope may be like aspirin. Did you read the papers? Aspirin may prevent MANY types of cancer.  How wonderful is that? The cheapest drug we have may be the most effective.

Hope. Hope is about looking forward. Hope is also about living each day as it comes. I change plans depending on my most handsome husband's ability to wander out of the house. I will (easily) give up my plans to walk or work if he is feeling well enough to leave the house. I want to take him outside! I want to go with him. I don't want him to become isolated and alone. Never. Ever.

My winter days. I'm gearing up for Christmas. I've been shopping. I'm the worst shopper, alone. I can't make a decision. Alone, I can't be rushed, so I spend hours and come home with one thing. I need a partner. My sisters are coming soon.

I don't feel very "Christmassy" this year. The decorations are up but I haven't found "it". My husband is having surgery right before Christmas; we've done all the tests that need to be done and faxed, we have a week and a half until...

Meanwhile, I've yet to correct my students' final project. I've a final to give. But, you know, it is just work. While I take it all very seriously, it is not about our life. Important, but sometimes, less so.
The new year will dawn. It always does. I have (albeit) a brief job,  I have a job! All is good.

Thanks Jimmie.

Out of the chaos, my friends give me hope.

I'll take it!

2 comments:

  1. You should receive a blog writers prize for your entries Mary - I've never read one that hasn't compelled me to leave a comment on how much I enjoy reading them. You capture the essence of what you're writing about so effervescently. I hope I spelled that word correctly. Hope you're sneezing has abated. Best, Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary,

    Denise captured pretty much what I was going to say. I'll add that they always move me. This one makes me want to give you a hug.

    Terri

    ReplyDelete