Thursday, June 11, 2009

And... Isn't it ultimately all about perception?

I have to say, I got a little angry today.  Don't think I really want to talk about the specifics of it.  

Some anger is born out of frustration, and it is the frustration that needs to be controlled. The best example I can think of  is "road-rage." Truly born out of the frustration that we can't get through traffic because that other driver is So Dumb!  He almost hit me!  One doesn't always have to stop first to make a right turn!  She cut me off!  And on and on that story goes.  I don't have a problem with "road-rage."  I zen the road.  Oh, I may witness extraordinarily stupid driving, but I slow down or speed up or swerve, consider myself lucky and go about my business.  Some people get angry waiting in line.  (Doesn't grandma know you can use a check card instead of a check?  He has 13 items!  I'm late and she is counting out pennies!)  Yeah. Doesn't really bother me.  (I do worry about the woman counting out pennies.  I think, "what if that is all she has?")  

I am angry at the stupidity and waste in government.  I am angry that so many people don't share the same basic human rights I (seem to) have.  I am angry about agism. I am angry about all the "-isms."   Life isn't fair.  We have to battle these things.  We have to be constantly conscientious. But, all that is born out of true surprise and outrage.  I should be angry about these things. These are big things that require action. They are intolerable and unacceptable... But not necessarily born out of frustration.  They are more about right and wrong.

Perhaps what I am talking about is ego.  Perhaps some anger is born out of embarrassment. Especially embarrassment not of one's own making, yet landing squarely in one's lap.  The responsible thing is to move forward with the task at hand.  Yes, that is what I do.  (Well, sometimes I get a bit loud.)  But the frustration gnaws and can turn into a fury that one may not have about politics, or...  Perhaps (politics) are less personal.  It is the personal affront; the personal in the moment dissing.  Or the perception of dissing.  Hmm.  Perception.  Maybe that is what this is about.  The perception of Disrespect.  

I may perceive some slight as intentional, when it is not.  I may perceive some action or mistake as lack of attention or poor work habits, I may perceive a comment to be too personal. Leads to that same frustration I was talking about earlier.  And so leads to anger.  My perception may not be reality.  And yet...  If things in life are not how we perceive them to be, then what are they?

Just trying to get my head around this and away from my anger.  I realize, in a calmer state of mind, that what sometimes makes me angry is just a collection of missteps and miscommunication.  Solvable problems.  For tomorrow.  So, (she says to herself) be calm. 

I've learned to walk away with the anger and come back tomorrow.  Solve the problem when the ego and frustration and anger have had time to dissipate.  To approach the cause of the initial frustration (anger) calmly, with some distance and dispassion. 

And that is what I will do.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment